Sunday 18 May 2014

This is dull, feel free to skip it

So last week was not productive...  Starting with the fabric shop being closed when we went for a fondle (gah!  I should have remembered they close on a Monday), continuing through being asked to put a lining in a linen jacket (something I will enjoy doing but when do I get to it) and with a persistent theme of trying to get Husband's receipts and filing up to date... Sigh.

So the to-do list grows ever longer, but having made a complete cock-up of a t-shirt last week I know what I did wrong and will be more confident (wibble) in making a couple of proper ones in the fabric currently winging its way to me from ebay.

There will be sewing next week.  I'm thinking if I do one day pattern cutting, one day fabric cutting, one day sewing I shouldn't find myself over-reached at any point.  The first thing I'll sew is the jacket lining - not least because I've picked up a very well-behaved anti-static lining, and I need to remember how lovely and well-behaved my sewing machine can be - when I'm not subjecting it to a universal twin needle on non-interfaced lightweight t-shirting (just two of the lessons I learnt last week).

And I'll put up some pictures.  This wittering is all well and good but I feel the need for some photographic evidence of progress.

And I'm also hoping for a bit more energy over the next few weeks.  The temperature's rising - which means I don't get the horrible cold-cramps - and I'm cutting out all sugar and most starch which I think might be a food trigger for some of the aches and pains.  I've been doing this for 5 days now, bar an ice-ream yesterday afternoon which may have been the cause of yesterday evening's awfulness - but that could have been overdoing things generally over the week.

Other distractions?  Well I keep thinking of other things I want to be sewing RIGHT NOW.  As you do.  And one thing I do need by the end of half term is some sleeves.  Yes, standalone sleeves.  I seem to have been persuaded into a skiing lesson at the beginning of June and you have to have arms (and legs) covered.  It's a dry ski slope so falling over equals skin loss.  Giving the current trajectory of the thermometer I don't think any of my jumpers will do, and all of my other tops are either short or 3/4 sleeved - so I'm going to muslin a pair of those "tights for arms" whatsits and see how that goes.  And if it doesn't work I'll be the one flailing around in the a-line black raincoat looking like a particularly uncoordinated crow.

No comments:

Post a Comment